Thursday 21 June 2012

Sticky Presents


Father's day was approaching and since don't usually do more then bake something since I am ultimately lazy and hell my husband isn't much into mother's day so turn around is fair play. Unfortunately my mother informed me that my father would be gutted it didn't do something nice for father's day.  

Usually my dad is a carrot cake or spice cake kind of guy, which is all well and good until you crack out the pineapple in the carrot cake.  Pineapple does not belong in carrot cake and in my opinion neither do nuts. I am a purist when it comes to brownies and cakes ... I don't like nuts AT ALL in my baking.  There are times for peanut butter but that is a butter and not truly a nut which just messes with the decadence of brownies.

So in order to kill 2 birds with one stone... or 2 father's day present in one go I decided to bake up a batch of Sticky Gingerbread.  This makes 2 deliciously moist gingerbread loaves.

I dislike washing dishes and I hate to waste all my time chipping off what would have been a delicious cake or muffin from the inside of the pan.  Solution: Parchment paper and A Stapler. Here is a corner in an angled sided loaf pan.  I use the staple to keep the parchment in place.



The parchment liner stays put and that makes it easier to fill the pan.
 This recipe is made in a pan which makes it super easy for clean up and your ingredients don't have to be at room temperature so it is an easy last minute baking project.
 Melt the butter and add the brown sugar and molasses.  Let that melt and dissolve and then let cool slightly.  The add the beaten egg to the cool sugar butter deliciousness.
 Here is another sign that I am lazy, I would prefer weighting my dry ingredients since that takes so much less effort then measuring it out.
 Flour and spices and everything...Dry?
 Then you mix everything together.  I used a spatula but really that is really up to you.
Pour in to your prepared pans and bake.











Sticky Gingerbread
Original Recipe from "Healthy Lunchboxes: for kids"  By: Amanda Grant

1 cup Butter
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
2/3 cup Molasses
2 Eggs, Beaten
12 oz All-Purpose Flour (approx. 2 1/2 cups-2 2/3cups)
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/4 cups Warmed Milk


~Line 2 - 2lb loaf pans.
~Preheat oven to 275F.

~In a large saucepan over medium low, melt butter with the brown sugar and molasses. Stir continually until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.

~Remove butter sugar mixture from the heat and let cool slightly. I like to temper the egg a bit so I add a bit of the butter sugar mixture to the beaten egg and mix it about to bring the temperatures closer together. Then you can whisk your egg in to the butter sugar mixture.


~Weigh out the flour and measure out the spices(excluding the baking soda), then add to the butter sugar pan.

~Mix the baking soda in to the warmed milk and then add to the batter.

~Pour the batter equally in to the pans.

~Bake 50 minutes or so, the tops of the slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment