Sunday 14 December 2014

Christmas Cookie 2014 -- Earl Grey Tea Cookies


I am running behind with my Christmas baking this year and I won't be making any chocolate truffles which is a bit sad.  I am still making more variety of cookies.  This is a repeat from last year because it was quite delicious or some I am told :)


This cookie is rolled into a log, wrapped and frozen.  The frozen log can be unwrapped, sliced and baked.  I can't get easier then that.  

I made a double batch which made 4 logs, 308g each. Then wrapped in parchment and twine, much prettier then the plastic zip top bags.

This recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Cookies,  Thank you Martha.  My 8 year old loves to make cookies from this book.  This is a simple recipe with only 6 ingredients.

Earl Grey Tea Cookies
Original recipe Martha Stewart
Makes 2, 308g (approx) logs
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tbsp fine ground Earl Grey Tea (I used Tazo earl grey and it took 6-7 tea bags)
1/2 tsp coarse Salt
1 cup (8oz) unsalted butter (if using salted butter, decrease added salt)
1/2 cup Icing Sugar
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest.

~In a bowl combine flour, tea and salt.

~Cream room temp butter, icing sugar and zest for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is pale and fluffy (easiest to use a mixer)

~Slowly add in flour mixture.  Mix until just combined.

~Divide dough in half.  Form into a log and roll up in parchment, turn the ends of the parchment and tie off with ribbon or twine.  Place in freezer until ready to give as a gift.  Alternatively you can freeze for 1 hour then slice about 1/4 inch thick and bake in a preheated 350F oven until the edges golden.  Let cookies cool on the cookie sheets.  Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment