Sunday 19 May 2013

Easy Cheesy Butternut Squash Lasagna

It might seem like I love butternut squash especially butternut squash lasagna since I have a lot of recipes that I've created that with butternut squash.  Well it is true, I love how much flavour you can get out of it and how nutritious it is too boot.  Normally I peel and cube the squash before roasting but the squash were tiny and I was lazy so I just cut them in half, scooped out the guts and baked the cut-side down until soft. This will leave a bit more moisture in the flesh.
Made in an 8"x8" pan

This lasagna was originally made as a "I'm not going grocery shopping so I'm only using what I got" kind of meal.  The cheesy layer is loosely based upon a dip that a friend of my lovely MIL makes for most functions.  Basically it is cottage cheese, mayo, green onions and a crap-ton (yes, that is a word) of pepper and a bit and bit of salt.  Now, I'm not averse to baking with mayo but it has to serve a purpose and lasagna does not seem the proper vehicle. In place, I used light cream cheese which adds to the creaminess without the post bake pools of oil.

Made in an 11"x13" pan
I've made this in an 11x13 baking dish or an 8x8, it just depends how you want to layer it. 
In the 11x13 it was noodle, cheese, noodle, squash, noodle.
In the 8x8 it was noodle, cheese, squash, noodle, cheese, squash, noodle. 

I think I prefer the 8x8 configuration so that is how I've laid out the recipe.  Adjust the amount of noodles if do the 11x13. I used only 6 in the 8x8 which with trimming and using the trimmings make 3 layers of 3 noodles, the middle layer being the trimmings from all the other noodles.

Cheesy Butternut Squash Lasagna
Weight Watchers Points Plus value: 8 pts+ per serving
Makes 6 servings.

~Roasted Butternut Squash.  1 very large or 2 regular sized squash (you can always roast extra and use it on salads etc)
~6 lasagna noodles cooked according to the package directions.
~1-500ml tub 1% Cottage Cheese
~1- brick Light Cream Cheese
~1 whole bunch Green Onions, chopped
~1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
~Pepper
~Salt
~1/2 cup or so, shredded cheese (cheddar, or mozzarella, or I used pre-shredded Kraft Italiano light cheese.)

Instructions:
~I roasted the butternut squash either by cubing it, lightly coating with olive oil (or butter), salt and pepper and baking or by just cutting in half and putting cut side down on a tray and baking at 350 or 375 until it is soft.  Cubing it results in a dryer squash since there is more surface area to dry out while the halves of squash keep more moisture.  So really it depends on what texture you are looking for.  I like both ways, so it just depends on how lazy I am.

~Cook lasagna noodles according to the box directions and set aside.

~In a bowl cream the cream cheese with the cottage cheese, once that is mixed then add the green onions, and salt and pepper to taste.  I like a lot of pepper, so I put a lot of pepper, it goes really well with the cottage cheese.  You can add Parmesan to the cheese mixture or leave it out, it just depends on how cheesy you want it.

~Spray an 8"x8" pan and place 3 noodles down, trim to fit, but keep the trimmings since that will be the middle layer.  I usually trim all 6 noodles since that makes construction a little easier.

~On top of the noodles spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture, then top with 1/2 of the squash.  Top with the 2nd layer of noodles, rest of cheese, rest of squash, 3rd layer of noodles and then sprinkle with the shredded cheese.

~Bake at 350 until cheese looks melty and bubbly.  Since everything is cooked, you are just warming it through.

~Enjoy with some salad or other veggies.  Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment