Wednesday 5 October 2011

Nothing says Autumn like a Plethora of Pumpkin Recipes!

Tis that time of year when you start to want warm soups, hearty meals and pumpkin..

Um...what?

That's right I said pumpkin, ok that isn't really a surprise.  I know that you are aware of that noble veg and I know that you are faced with pumpkin ever where you go (including that coffee chain that sucks you in to spending $5 a latte for pumpkin deliciousness.)  And that is okay by me.  I love pumpkin all year round, which is why I bake a lot of pumpkin this time of year and stash it in my freezer (I do love my obelisk, which I know doesn't tapper but it is my huge black upright freezer)

One of my favorite muffins is my Pumpkin Millet Muffins, adapted from The Rebar cookbook, although, it really should be called a Pumpkin Oatmeal Millet Muffins since there is more oatmeal then millet.  I have, of course, modified the recipe to fit my tastes but the essentials are still there.  Pumpkin.  Glorious orange Pumpkin.

Blend all the dry ingredients.  Usually I add the oatmeal and millet into the wet ingredients but I was prepping ahead of time and just through those into the dry and it worked fine.

Hello Pumpkin.  Here are all the wet ingredients getting ready for it's date with the dry ingredients.

I used my square muffin tin, which is the perfect size to fit into Ladybugs Lock n' lock container.  I have a square box with four square removable trays and these fit really well :)


Pumpkin Oatmeal Millet Muffins
adapted from The Rebar Cookbook

2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup Buttermilk or (1 tbsp lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill up to 1 cup mark with milk, let stand 5min)
3/4 cup Brown Suga
1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 cups Pumpkin Puree
1 cup Rolled Oats
1/4 cup Millet, lightly toasted in a pan
1 cup Unbleached Flour
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg

-Preheat oven to 350
-Line and/or Grease 24 muffins cups.  I like my silicon muffin liners but I don't really want to the kids to take them to school so I either take them off before school or just grease the pan, since I never have luck getting muffin liners off muffins or cupcakes.
-In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin, mix until the ingredients are without lumps, add oats and toasted millet.
-In another bowl, add dry ingredients.  Add to wet mixture and gently fold to combine.
-Fill muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment