Wednesday 5 October 2011

Is Pumpkin Korean?

I have been running around the kitchen today for a number of reasons.  Firstly we are having some friends over for dinner and we had not decided what we were going to make for dinner until this morning.  But since I had purchased the gochujang and an asian pear for making the bulgogi marinade, I thought it would be fun to do bibimbop since that doesn't have to be spicy since our guests are not know for liking it too spicy (Pepper might be a little much :)

Secondly, the kids are out of granola bars.  I say the kids, but really I mean I'm out of granola bars.  I have been snacking on them as well, much to the detriment of our granola bar stocks.  Luckily they are relatively easy and cheap to make so off I go to make some more.  I have been tinkering with the recipe to make them chewy enough but still stay together.  I know this is one of the things that Ladybug will always eat in her lunch, I make sure there is a supply at the ready for lunches.

Thirdly, it is October and cooking pumpkins are around and fairly inexpensive.  I have to keep my eyes open for the $2 cooking pumpkins that I found last year at the grocery store.  That was an awesome find.  I always cook up a bunch of pumpkins to make into pumpkin puree and freeze it to use all year round.  I love pumpkin pie (which I might also make) and I love pumpkin muffins (which will also make an appearance shortly)  but there are a few things that I still want to try, such as, pumpkin pancakes and I am still trying to figure out a great recipe for a pumpkin latte since I am trying to get out of the habit of $4.75 for a pumpkin spice latte at the coffee shop.

And the day goes on....

Head ache started brewing and the photos stopped being taken but the potatoes were delicious.  Plus, 4 or 7 small wine glasses of pear cider did not help.  But we did have a delicious dinner of Bibimbop, Korean potatoes and pumpkin pie...

What you say, pumpkin pie.  That doesn't sound at all like a Korean dessert, well it ain't but it was still tasty.

Making your own pumpkin puree is not that hard and does not take a lot of effort, just a bit of time and a food processor.  You could do it without the food processor but it does make that much easier.

First you get a sugar pumpkin.  You can use a regular Halloween pumpkin but it will be really watery and you will have to strain it which takes it away from being simple to do.  Here is an sugar pumpkin that I picked up for $0.99/lb but I have found them less expensive when I am lucky

Then I cut them in half, aren't they glorious :)

Now, I don't really like pumpkin seeds to eat and J has on a few occasions eaten enough to make himself sick so instead of prepping to eat them, I prep them to plant them next year.  Yes, I understand what I grown might not look anything like the pumpkins I get since the seeds might be a result of cross pollination, but either way I get a plant and that is good.

I had to show just how orange the pumpkins were.

All cut up and ready to bake.  The little ones in the middle were left overs from last year.  I did bake them up hoping that they would work, but they sort of smelled like cat so into the compost they went.

Pre-baking

Post baking.  Even more orange then they started.

Then I let them cool somewhat and then scoop the delicious insides and place them in the food processor. Let them go for a bit and what you get is.....

This creamy mass of pumpkiny goodness.  You can if you want strain it so it becomes thicker but I find that this is just as good or better then canned and doesn't have that weird dark orange pumpkin from a can colour.  If using regular Halloween pumpkins you will have to strain it since you need to remove some of the wateriness.  

Pumpkin Puree

Pumpkin(s), cut in half and seeded.
Water

-Preheat oven to 350.
-Line a pan big enough to have the pumpkin lying flat, cut side down.  Not necessary to line the pan but it does make clean up a breeze since the sugars can burn.  Place pumpkin, cut side down and add enough water to cover bottom of the pan.
-Bake 30-60 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked all the way through and soft.
-Once cooked, let cool.  I normally only make it to slightly less then burning my hands otherwise it usually waits until it is stone cold.  I am both extremely impatient and forgetful.
-Using a spoon, scoop out all the flesh leaving the rind out of the mixture and place it in the food processor.  Let the whiz about for a minutes until all the lumps are out and the pumpkin is a smooth puree.
-Use or portion out into freezer bags and freeze flat, which makes thawing and using it later a snap.  I usually put into 2 cup portions and just add more pumpkin to my muffins and pies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment