Sunday 23 October 2011

Caramelized Apple Dutch Baby

I haven't been that familiar with dutch babies until recently.  I have made a few but nothing really tickled my fancy.  Today's Caramelized Apple Dutch Baby is a little different, this isn't your run of the mill, everyday type of breakfast Since too much of this will make you the size of a house.  It is delicious and sweet, I might cut the sweetness for my taste but I have a feeling that those with a sweet tooth will enjoy this, a lot!

I adapted a recipe made for an 8" cast iron skillet and I halved the recipe, more or less to fit my smaller 5" cast iron skillet since I think my non-sweet eating man and my kids and I could handle a smaller rather then larger Dutch Baby.

Caramelized Apple Dutch Baby
adapted from The Kitchn.  This will make a 5" cast iron skillet or a med oven safe pan

2 Apples (1 1/2 cups diced), peeled and in a small dice. (I used gala apples since that is what I had available but granny smith would be lovely too.)
2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
38 gram Butter.  (1/6 cup, now you see why I weighted it :)
1/6 cup Brown Sugar  (This one was easier, take a packed 1/3cup of brown sugar, carefully turn it onto a plate and slice it in half. Use half and return the other half into the sugar container.)
1/4 cup + 1/8 cup (or 2 tbsp) Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Milk (I add the extra milk to make up the whole wheat flour, plus, I am using 3 eggs since the original called for 5 and I am not great at measuring 1/2 and egg.)
1/4 tsp Vanilla
3 Eggs
Powdered Sugar, to serve.

-Preheat oven to 400.
-In a 5" skillet (6" would work as well) place butter and place it in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the butter is melted and bubbly.
-In a small bowl mix together sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
-Sprinkle brown sugar on the melted butter and then top with the apple pieces and sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture. Place back in the oven to caramelize the apples.
-In a medium mixing bowl add flour, salt, and nutmeg.  With a whisk slowly add the milk to the flour mix.  Add the vanilla and add the eggs one at a time, then whisk up the mixture for a minute or two until it is frothy and let stand 5 minutes.
-The apples should be bubbly by now, so pour in the flour egg mixture and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the center is set and the edges are golden.
-The edges will puff up in the oven and will sink down some once it is pull out of the oven.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the process but the end result was rather delicious.  Custardy on the inside and slightly crispy along the edges.

Apple deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment