Monday 7 November 2011

Brownies from Heaven :)

I grew up having the best brownies in the world.  I didn't know this at the time but with all the brownies out there, my mother made the best.  They are also rather weird.  I have only made them a couple times and the first time that I did make them, I ignored the "Cover when cool and set aside overnight to mature." line in the recipe.  Wow, I was shocked at how bland they tasted and I thought that was the worst thing ever since I remember these being absolutely fabulous brownies.  So the next day when I actually finished making the brownies and adding the fudgey icing and OMG it was the best thing on earth.  I decided to forgo the unsalted butter and just use saltIed butter this time since I remember it required a bit more salt so I had added a bit of crunchy salt on top of the icing to just send it over the top in greatness.

So decided to makes these delicious goodies for Monday's dinner.  I did forget that I only have 9"x9" square pan so the brownies turned out a little thinner that I like them, what I usually do is double the recipe and put it in the 11"x13" pan.  

Brownies
Recipe courtesy of my mum,

Brownies
4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
1/4 lb (4 oz, 1/2cup) Butter
1 1/4 plus 3 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 large Eggs
3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour

Fudgy Frosting
1 1/2 oz Unsweetened Chocolate, melted
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Evaporated Milk
16 Pecan halves (Optional, really optional since I believe that Brownies should not contain nuts, although these are decorative for the top and are almost tolerated.)

-Preheat oven 350. butter or line 8"x8" square pan
-In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate, set aside for 5 minutes.
-In a bowl beat together chocolate and sugar 1-2 minutes until the mixture is completely combined.  Add vanilla, and lightly beaten eggs and mix only until combined.
-Add flour and beat until mixture is totally blended and has a shiny velvety look, 1 minute or less.
-Spread batter evenly over the prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes.  Bake until a very thin crust forms on the top and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.  DO NOT OVER BAKE.
-Cool in pan on rack to room temp. COVER WHEN COOL AND SET ASIDE OVERNIGHT TO MATURE *this is very important*

Frosting:
-In a blender combine the melted chocolate, sugar and evaporated milk.  Blend for 3-5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and shiny (the sound of the blender will change when the mixture is ready)
-Frost brownies with a thin layer of icing.  To serve cut into 16-2" pieces and top with pecan, if desired.

I use a bowl over a pot of simmering water instead of an actual double boiler pot.  That way there is only one dish to clean.
Here is all the chocolate and butter melted and cooling
In with the sugar. 
The eggs have been added and the mixture is almost complete, all it needs is the flour.
With only a few crumbs on the toothpick it was ready to take out of the oven at around 20 minutes.
Here is my rather thin brownie.  It is still moist and fudgy but I think I will have to pick up a 8"x8" square pan.  I have also sprinkled the top with Himalayan Pink Salt. 

2 comments:

  1. Yippee my very first comment :) These are brownies are quite morish (as in I am always wanting more) I decided that I should freeze the rest since I already ate 4 this evening.

    ReplyDelete