Tuesday 29 November 2011

I'm back

I haven't been posting in the last little while since my life has become very entrenched in studying for an up coming licencing exam.  Plus, my self esteem hit a bump, although, I am not actually sure what that bump was.  I decided that I need to start looking after myself, especially since I have had this stupid cold for almost 2 weeks and I am running out of energy and I ran out of patience last week.  So I started with my breakfast which is the easiest meal to get better but also one that is fairly easy to not have time for.

I bought some vanilla almond milk last week and thought that I would like to substitute that for milk.  Well it so didn't work in my tea, but it worked really well in my oatmeal.  So I vamped up my oatmeal.   

Morning Kick Start Oatmeal
1/3 cup Old Fashioned Oats
2/3 cup Almond Milk
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
0.5 oz (about 10) Almonds, chopped
1 small box  (14g) Raisins
1 tbsp Unsweetened Coconut

Place all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high 1 1/2 minutes.  Let stand 1 minutes and then enjoy.

Simple but filling.


Recently, I have been truly interested in anything butternut squash relate,  I have made 3 different lasagnas and tonight concoction is a Roasted Butternut Squash, Red Lentil and Chickpea Curry served on a bed of sauteed Kale.
For this Kale I sauteed it in the bacon drippings from the kids breakfast this morning, delicious.

There is nothing better then roasted butternut squash; I knew I was putting it in the curry so I didn't bother to cut it up and that worked well for this application.

Fairly simple curry but still has a whole bunch of flavour.

Although I looks like a pile of kale, this Kale has that something extra with a bit of bacon fat.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Red Lentils and Chickpea Curry

1 Whole Butternut Squash, halved, seeded and roasted at 350 until tender and some what caramelized
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Butter
1/2 large Onion, diced
3 cloves Garlic
Salt to taste
2 tsp Curry Powder (I used a vegetable curry blend)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 cup Red Lentils
1 L Chicken or Veggie Stock
1 can Chickpeas

-In a heavy bottom pan, heat butter and oil to medium.  Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
-Add the spices and cook until fragrant.
-Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until lentil are cooked soft and the chickpeas have a nice texture, about 20 minutes.
-Serve over sauteed Kale.


No comments:

Post a Comment