Saturday 24 September 2011

Mango Madness!

I was introduced to mango chutney while over at a friends house in high school.  Major Grey's Mango Chutney served on a slice of buttered (although, at that time I think it was actually margarine) bread and to this day I still love it that way.  I have gone up in the world (a bit) so now I really like it on a nice sourdough with butter.  
I found some mangoes on sale May last year so I decided to make some chutney and came across this recipe.  Unlike most other recipes that I use, I haven't changed this one at all (okay, accept the cooking time since I like it really thick and the intense the flavour.)  

I recently opened my last jar of the 3 double batches I made May 2010 and a sale on cases of mangoes led to a requirement for more mango chutney to be made.  Greatly over estimating the amount of chopped mango I could get off on of these gigantor mangoes, so it ended up with each mango making 2 cups of chopped mangoes.  With each mango mango equaling 2 cups of mangoes it only took 3 mangoes for each recipe.  I ended up making 3 double batches same as last time, except this time I made them all in one day.


Mango Chutney
6 cups Mango, stoned, peeled and chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 Red chili, chopped (I use dried small chilies)
1 tbsp Garlic, grated
1 tbsp Ginger, grated
2 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup Raisins
6 Cardamom Pods, crushed and ground
1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne
3 cups vinegar




-Place everything in a large pot and boil until it thickens, about 30-90 minutes.
-Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

To Sterilize the Jars:
-Wash in hot soapy water.
-Keep the lids in boiling water until ready to use.
-Place jars in 225F oven for 10 minutes and keep warm until ready to use.



Lee Valley Tools made the original wood rasp that became the sensation of the kitchen world.  I was one of those people who saw the benefits and versatility of the rasp.  I need to thank my dad for having the lee valley catalog delivered to our house growing up.  It does a bang up job on garlic and ginger.

Ladybug helping crush the cardamom to help remove the pod before crushing the seeds.

I know why cardamom is sold either in the pod or ground - The seeds has the appearance of mouse droppings.

For my third batch, I had prep up everything except the mangoes while the 2nd batch cooked.  This sped up the prep time.


All the lovely ingredients before the mango goes in.

I turned up the heat under the vinegar and other ingredients as I chopped up the mango.

Bubble, bubble, boil and trouble.  Yes, I know that isn't the line from Shakespeare but I had to be careful stirring the chutney.  If I let it bubble too long without stirring, it would start to rapidly boil and sputter when I did stir it.

Gorgeous jars of luscious goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment