Wednesday 14 September 2011

Soy Ginger Salmon

Today has been a bit of mix up.  I tried to make mango chutney but my mangoes weren't ripe enough to use so there are now in the kitchen with bananas in the box hopefully pushing them towards ripeness by Saturday.    I have been wanting to have rice and salmon for a few days now and I found an interesting recipe that came along with out Wolfgang Puck Multi-cooker.

Soy Steamed Salmon Filets with Shiitake Brown Rice
Steamed Salmon

4 Salmon Filets, 3-4 oz each
2 tbsp Mushroom Soy Sauce (I used regular soy sauce since I couldn't find mushroom)
4 tsp Fresh Ginger, cut into julienne strips
2 Green Onions, cut into julienne strips (I just cut them into angle cut small pieces)
2 Big Cloves Garlic (I used 3)

Rice

1 1/3 cups Brown Rice
2 1/2 cups Stock or Water (I used a stock concentrate that makes 3 cups so it was a little stronger flavoured)
2 Bay Leaves
4 tsp Olive Oil
1 cup dried Shiitake Mushrooms or dried mushroom medley, re-hydrated in 1 cup hot water, squeezed to remove excess water (leftover water can be used in place of stock or water)
4 tsp Mushroom Soy Sauce (I mixed mushroom water and soy sauce)
2 Cloves Garlic, smashed
1 tsp Sambal Oelek or Chili flakes (I used Chipotle Tabasco but only a few drops since the kids had to eat it too)
Kosher Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Green Onion, sliced thinly

-Place salmon in steamer basket.  Set on a plate to catch any drippings.  Rub mushroom soy sauce over salmon.  Top evenly with ginger, green onion and garlic.  Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes

-Add remaining rice ingredients, except for green onion, into Multi-cooker pot. Stir, close and press BROWN.  After 45 minutes, add basket with salmon.  Cook 5-10 minutes or until fish is done to your liking.

-When Multi-cooker switches to keep warm, fluff rice and fold in remaining green onions.

*to make this with out the Multi-Cooker*  Follow directions on rice package for water to rice rations and then add all the goodies.  The Salmon can be steamed in a frying pan with the liquid or in a steam basket over a pot of simmering water until desired done-ness is reached.


I marinated the salmon in a bowl since the plate was really small and the other plates didn't fit the steam basket.

Mushroom-ey goodness.  This is the rice with all the re-hydrated mushrooms et al.  At the end of cooking I did find that I needed to add some extra water (approximately a 1/2cup of water) 

I decided to line the steamer basket with parchment and place the salmon in that since it fit better.  Next time I will make sure there is more air flow around the salmon.

Here is the Wolfgang Puck Multi-cooker

The final product (I neglected to mix the green onion into the rice but it still works being sprinkled on top.  It fulfilled my rice and salmon requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment