Tuesday 13 December 2011

Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls

The grocery store had heads of Savoy cabbage on for $1 each, so we picked up this gorgeous green wrinkled cabbage.  I decided that I wanted to make some cabbage rolls with it, so I searched the internet and found a bunch of different recipes and then decided to make it up as I go along and see how it turns out.

Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
1 1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
2 Eggs
2 Carrots
1 medium Onion
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup chunked Zucchini (about 3 inches of a medium zucchini)
2 cups cooked Brown Rice
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups Crushed Tomatoes
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Zest of one lemon
2 tsp Bragg's

~In a food processor, finely process, carrots, onions and zucchini.  If you do each individually you'll have more control of the size.
~In a bowl combine beef, eggs, finely minced carrots, zucchini and onion, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, worcestershire sauce and brown rice.  Using you hands combine gently.
~In a pot of boiling water, cook the cabbage leaves for 3 minutes or until tender enough to roll.
~Lay out the leaves and put a spoonful or 2 about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup depending on the size of the leaves.
~Place rolled cabbage rolls in the slower cooker.
~Mix up 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes with the remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls.  If you have 2 layers of rolls then add some sauce on the first layer before adding the second layer and then top the second layer with the remaining sauce.
~Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

I neglected to get any pictures since the hungry hoard of gamers devoured most of it.  I did make some dessert for the gamers but since they tasted them and thought they would come down with diabetes if they ate too much, I don't think I will pass that recipe along.  I remember them from my university days but I don't remember them being quiet so sweet.  I might try them with the natural peanut butter rather then Kraft peanut (sugar) butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment