Sunday 22 January 2012

Black Beans and Chocolate

I have selected another Pinterest posting of a recipe. That being said I may have been the one that posted it or I may have found it there,  I can't remember since I read that blog anyways - ohhh well.


This morning for Sunday breakfast I decided to make Vegan Black Bean Brownie Pancakes. This recipe is from My Little Celebration.  


This is my first time using a flax egg as well, interesting process.  This recipe isn't really clear on how to use the flax egg since it calls for:


1 flax egg [1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 2/5 Tbsp. water]   I think it means 2 - 5 tbsp of water rather then 2/5th of a tbsp of water, which my original interpretation of it.  But the interwebs saved me on this one.


I also put in too much salt which may have made it a little bitter, but I don't know.  The kids weren't too fond of them but then again my kids generally eat regular whole wheat pancakes with egg and milk in it and pancake syrup on the top.  So although they are generally good eaters, I am pleased to say that they tried them but unfortunately they weren't impressed by them.  I might make them again for guest who might be of the vegan persuasion but we will see.  I will give them one  more go in the future to see if they get any better.


Someone was helping in the kitchen.  They were both beside me in the kitchen earlier making it hard to work since they wanted to touch everything.  Sometimes that is easier then others.  The real problem is that they fight to get closer so that ends up in a screaming match with some pushing and if I'm lucky some pinching or biting :)

This is a food processor recipe which makes it loud for little ears which is why they left.

I transferred it into another bowl for easy scooping. 

After some trial and error, I found that the non-stick pan had to be only slightly greased and the pancakes had to go from glossy and wet to


dried and matte.  The first few followed the directions and were difficult to turn over and still rather raw even when crispy on both sides and these aren't thick pancakes at all.

Little Misses favorite part was the whipped cream that I added to it.  Not Vegan but then again neither are we :)

Here is the finished pile of pancakes.  They do look like brownies, I will have to try them again with less salt.  Interesting concept and I will probably try the actual Vegan Black Bean Brownies as well

No comments:

Post a Comment