Sunday 22 January 2012

What to do with Left-over Beans.

I made black bean brownie pancakes this morning and now I have nearly 2 cups of left over black beans, so I decided to make black bean soup for tonight's dinner.  

My husband and I started Weight Watchers again and he has been hungry since Friday, I think it might be more psychological more then anything but I am now trying to make the food we eat together more filling without really packing on the points.  Like today's fun fact that he didn't know, is that all fruit except avocados are 0 points.  So he ate a banana while making himself a sauteed mushroom and spinach salad.  Apparently reading the introduction booklet falls into the manly attribute of not ready manuals.

So for dinner tonight I am making black bean and corn soup with some pita chips on the side.

Black Bean and Corn Stoup


1 cup diced Onion
1 cup diced Carrot
1 cups diced Celery
1 1/4 cup Black Beans, drained and rinced
1/2 cup Canned Corn
1 cup Jarred Salsa
1/2 cup Diced Red pepper
2 cups chicken broth (I used concentrated stock which added 1 pt)
1 cup Roasted Butternut Squash
Pinches of Cumin, Coriander, Chili Powder, and Cayenne (to taste, my husband likes it spicy so I make it a bit spicier and then top with Chipotle Tabasco)
spray oil


1 spray heavy pan with spray oil and heat over medium.  Saute onions until translucent an then add the carrots and celery.  If the pan is getting too dry add some stock or water.  


2 Once the veg is starting to soften, add stock, beans, corn.  Simmer for 10 minutes.


3 Add the red pepper and salsa and simmer an additional 10 minutes.


4 Add the butternut squash and allow it to warm up then serve.
Here is the soup simmering away.


Stats:
1/2 of all the soup = 7pts
3 tbsp light sour cream, regular, as topping = 1
cilantro = 0
red pepper = 0
1/2 of whole grain pita = 2 
Chipotle Tabasco = 0


Meal total = 10 pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment