Sunday 22 January 2012

Yogurt Making Tutorial

I thought that I put together a tutorial on how to make yogurt.  I have been making yogurt for a bit and I have been getting some questions so I though that I would actually photograph the whole process (something I am bad at doing since I forget until I am half way through.)




How to Make Yogurt

1 Start with a pan, I like a pan that is easy to clean and somewhat wide on the bottom.


2 You'll need some milk, I am using whole milk this time but feel free to use what ever milk you want.  I normally use 2% but I thought I would try Homo milk to see the difference. Apparently reduced fat milks produce rather firm yogurt since the manufacturers add milk proteins to cover up for the lack of fat.  I haven't made yogurt with skim milk but it might be something I try in the future.


3 Pour the milk into the pot.  I know this is basic stuff, but sometimes it is necessary to spell everything out step by step


4 Time to take it's temperature.  I insert a probe thermometer in to the milk, but not touching the bottom of the pan.  I use a binder clip (I had to look up the name of it) with an elastic to hold the probe off the bottom of the pan.  I channeled some MacGyver here, I am pretty impressed by myself.


5 Turn the heat on low and let it heat up.  I would stir every so often and keep a lit on partially.  The common temperature that the milk is heated to is 180-190F but I didn't know that my temp alarm on the thermometer was broken and it was heated up to 210F and it still turned out well. The process of heating the milk concentrates the proteins and denatures the whey protein lactoglobulin.  You can try to keep the milk temp at 190F for a little bit to help this process along.  Commercial yogurt producers keep the milk at 185F for 30 minutes or 195F for 10 minutes.  They also add dry milk powder to increase the protein content of the milk.



6 While the milk is heating, take some yogurt from an earlier batch or from a commercially produced yogurt (make sure it says active cultures on the container) and let it come to room temperature.  You will need 2-4 tbsp per 1 liter of milk.  What you're doing is adding the culture into the milk which slowly spreads it way through the milk giving it the texture and taste of yogurt.


6a While the milk is heating turn on the oven light.  I find that this produces enough warms to keep the milk mixture warm so that the bacteria keeps growing.


7 Once the milk has made it to the desired temp, this took 35 minutes for me today, I usually take it to 190F  Today I will try to keep it at 180F - 190F for 15 minutes to see how it changes the final product (I do this by . To take it off the heat and let the milk cool to 110F. *If you do keep it at temp for a bit you will probably have to skim the skin off the top*. The cooling process took about 20 minutes.

8 Once cooled it is time to whisk in the room temp yogurt.  This will create bubbles, but it will also break up any skin that develops during the cooling process.

9 Pour the still warm milk mixture into a washed, still warm glass jar or container. I love my Weck Jars (I have seen them in publications for years but I finally found some in Vancouver.  I bought 2-1l jars especially for making yogurt.)  


10 I like to wrap the filled jars to keep it warm.


11 Place the jar into the oven with the door closed and the oven light on and let it sit there for 6-12 hours.  The long that you leave it the thicker and tangier it will become.  I keep experimenting with the time that works in my batches and I think the longer the better.  Remember that since this yogurt doesn't contain any preservatives it will continue to "mature" in the fridge, although not a great deal.

12 After the yogurt has been kept warm for the desired time, then it is time to chill and then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment