Monday 4 July 2011

Home Grown Goodness.

I have harvested the first lettuce from my garden for lunch today.
Here is my lettuce patch.  I have 6 types of lettuce which makes for a tasty salad.  I am generally fairly impatient so what I normally do for lettuce is scrape off the top layer of soil from the section and then sprinkle the seeds in the scraped off section then cover with either more soil or sea soil.  This usually leaves a very thick layer of lettuce as you can see.  The benefit to this is that you get to eat the baby lettuce as you thin :)  I have a few empty spaces to I think I will find some more lettuce seeds to plant, maybe some romaine which is a type I don't currently have.  I favorite is usually buttercrunch lettuce since it is so tender but still easy to grow.

It is getting quite thick which means that I now feel free to pick as much lettuce as I want.  I think this is just a leafy green lettuce.  This with J's miso dressing is totally delicious.

----

So I am still experimenting with Mojito's, which is a terrible thing :)

So I have determined that I am a wuss with alcohol so in a pint glass I have only been putting in 1 oz of rum and very little sugar.  This works really well with spiced rum since it is dark rum which has sugar already in it.  Plus, it gives it a lovely appealing colour.

I used the last of my Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum which is a pretty damn good rum, so it was a darn shame so I had to go out and get some more.  I also use Sailor Jerry's in my crepe batter, so delicious.  I prefer the spiced rum in the Mojito over the regular Bacardi white rum, but I did pick up a bottle of Bacardi white rum to get the free muddler.  I think my next summer bevvie adventure might be Pina Coladas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment