Monday 4 July 2011

Meltdown Monday.

Yesterday I was worried that Ladybug wouldn't eat properly at dance camp.  Well, out of the big lunch I packed for her she ate only the soy butter and jelly sandwich and the smoothie and she arrived whiny.  I mean, really whiny and she started to get really upset when ever she didn't get what she wanted, which was why Rosie woke up as early as she did :(

She refused to eat the samosa and wouldn't even try it when offered, she didn't want the yogurt which is unheard of in the Land of Ladybug.  Any way, I like the samosa and J likes the samosa so I guess we are set for samosa for a while.

Veggie Samosa's (or Beef Samosa's if you add beef like I did)
Filling:
2 tbsp Oil
1 large Onion, finely diced
2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 tsp Ginger, finely minced
1-2tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Cayenne powder
2 cups mashed Potato
1 cup Sweet Potato, small dice
1 cup finely chopped Carrot
1 cup frozen Peas
1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped fine
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp lemon juice
*to make the samosa's have beef in it, I added 1/2 lb of ground beef and voila beefy :p
Dough:
3 3/4 cups White Flour
1 tbsp Salt
3 oz melted Butter
1 1/2 cup Water

 Here I have separated the yams from the potatoes to make mashing the potatoes without the sweet potatoes easier.

 In  a bowl whisk flour and salt, add the butter and water to make a firm dough.  I had to add extra flour to make the dough firm enough.

 Isn't my ball of dough lovely :)

 In a sauce pan, saute onions until golden, add garlic and ginger and stir 1 minute and then add the spices.  This is when I added the beef, cook thoroughly.  Remove from heat and add all the other veggies.

 Take a chunk of the dough and roll it out thinly. Add a small amount of the filling, fold over the top and pinch closed.

This is approximately how it will look.

 Now the recipe that I originally used called for the samosa's to be fried but I don't like frying thing since the smell and vaporized oil gets everywhere, so I baked these 475 convection for about 20 minutes, just until they started going golden around the edges


To celebrate having finished making the samosa's and having people over I decided that Mojito would hit the spot.  Luckily, I had picked up some mint from my MIL's garden just for this purpose.

I learned more about Mojito's this time.
a) don't cut up the mint, if you do you'll have to filter the liquid through you teeth to keep the mint out of it.  Not, that I don't like the mint, I just rather not chew my drink.

b) I don't need much sugar if I used spiced rum.

c) I really like Mojito's

Note on the Samosa.  I think next time I will try a variation on the filling.  How about....peas, mint, feta and potato...That sounds good, very similar to a Baraq.

No comments:

Post a Comment