Sunday 24 July 2011

Back home

So we are back home from our vacation at the cottage.  So worth it but I do have to say that my eating habits, kind of took a nose dive into the deep end of the bread and butter pudding, delicious yet dangerous.  So, I think I will have to think up a goal for August.  I am not sure what it will be yet, but I will let you know (before Aug) what it will be.

So back to the bread and butter pudding.  We had some friends of a friend of ours use the lower low bank section of the yard for a lovely camp site so they could head up to Hornby Island to go mountain biking.  I own a mountain bike but I have too much of keen sense of my own mortality to really want to try actually doing what they were doing, they be crazy.  Any way back to the real story, I made some bread and butter pudding to share and it was lovely.  So I decided to share my recipe for this lovely pudding.

Bread and Butter Pudding
1 loaf of Raisin Bread or what ever bread you have.
butter, enough to butter one or both sides
2 cups 1% Milk
1 cup half and half
3 eggs (1 egg for every cup of milk/cream)
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon (to taste)
4.5 oz sugar (1.5oz per cup of milk)
powdered sugar to dust the top

*Preheat oven 325*
*Butter the bread and layer it in your baking dish.
*In a sauce pan warm milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon to just boiling.
*In a bowl whisk eggs and sugar together until lighter in colour and well combined
*Temper the eggs, by adding a small quantity of hot milk mixture to eggs mixture and then slowly add the remaining milk mixture.
*Slowly pour the milk/egg mixture over the bread and sprinkle with powdered sugar
*Bake 325* for 40 minutes.  The center will still be giggly.


This recipe is adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe




No comments:

Post a Comment