Sunday 17 July 2011

Needle felting

When we were at the cottage earlier in the year we came across a felt and fiber shop near the center of the village.  So I picked up a couple kits of different colours of felt and some needles and Ladybug and I tried out needle felting.  My first attempts weren't bad.  
The white one is Ladybugs sheep that she did with little supervision or guidance, I think she did a great job. The left yellow one is a sun and the other yellow one is a chicken, use you imagination.  The pink on is a pig, really it is.
See it is pig...especially if you squint :)
This is my chick.  I didn't have any black or dark colours when I made this that I left the eyes off.  Eyes would make it look more chick like but I think it is cute.

Today we picked up some more supplies, including some new needles for Ladybug since she has broken both of the ones she had, so I picked up a 4 pack of various sized needles with a handle.  For myself, I picked up a multiple needle handle and a pack of 6 red (38 gauge) needles.  Ladybug has already gone through 3 of the 4 needles but I think Rosie might have been responsible for 2 of the broken ones. She is making a bear but has misplaced the bits for a bit.  They have probably hid themselves in the couch cushions and we will have a look for them after the kids go to bed.

I decided to make a coaster since my drinks were frosty and delicious and so they had condensation so in order to prevent my wood from reacting to the water.  I was going to start with a tea pot cover but decided that that was a little ambitious so I started a bit smaller.  The package on the left is my assortment of needles while the the wood and brass thing on top of the pink insulating foam is the multiple needles holder with the needles (doesn't it look dangerous for your fingers)  I like that you can add decorations really easily but to felt the coaster took quite a while.  I might try knitting one and then adding the decorations to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment