Friday 22 July 2011

life at the Cottage

Well I have only managed 2 runs at the cottage since it was either raining and I didn't have my rain running jacket  until a week into the Va-Ca.  But the weather has been nice so I went for a couple runs.  Then J had to head back home for work for 2 1/2 days and I couldn't run since I; a) had sent my clothing down for him to wash and b) I didn't want to leave the kids by themselves while I went for a run since I am almost certain that they would try to kill each other or at least try to annoy each other. 

So J come back from his work trip and managed to leave my exercise clothes drying on the rack at home.  Oh well they will be there when I get back so I will try for a run on Sunday afternoon or evening.

The weather has been lovely, which has been opposite to what the weather reports had called for.  I might even set up the trampoline even if it is only for 1 day, although that seems like a bit of a waste of effort.
Here is the view from the house down the driveway to the lower section of the property and that tree is on the  man made breakwater that has now covered in grass.  It isn't ours since it is man made and below the traditional high tide line but we still mow it.

It has been rather busy here over the last few days since I last posted.  I had a friend come by and spend the day.  Ben, also known as Big Bad Ben, came by for a visit since Wednesday was his Saturday.  The kids were totally enthralled by him and kept wanting to climb all over him, so cute.  Ladybug wanted to do some more felting so I showed BBB what were were doing and set him up with some wool and a needle and this is what he comes up with:
The head of Conan O'Brian.  His artistic skill puts my little sun and piglet to shame.   Isn't it totally awesome.
BBB and I also tried to make mayonnaise to go with our BT's (I was out of lettuce, hence no L) it was a huge fail since the oil was off.  Piece of advice don't use oil that is rancid, it is horrendous.   
But here is BBB whisking it to death, this was great but then we tasted it.  Yuk as Ladybug would say.

My parents came to visit on Thursday since that was the only day they would squeeze a trip to Denman into there schedule.  It was a nice visit.  They arrived on the 10am boat, so mum and I took a walk to the beach while dad took the kids via the public access which is a neat way to get to the beach when you're 4 :)  Mum and I had a good chat while dad entertained the kids and the dogs took themselves for a swim.  I wish I had gotten a pic of that.  Homer just walked into the water and then ended up swimming to a rock, looking around and then swam to another rock, odd little dog.  

After the walk, I made lunch for the kids - PB and J since I knew that at least one of them would eat the whole thing, which she didn't.  Mum brought the makings for a blueberry crumble so we put that together and put it in the oven while I made another batch of the Bacon and Lentil Concoction from a few days ago.  It went over very well.  Rosie and dad went down for a nap around the same time :) so mum and I drove to the village with Ladybug to take her to the park there.  Homer decided he didn't want to be left behind so that silly little dog decided to start chasing us down the road, so we picked him up and brought him with us.  

The rest of the afternoon had dad hanging with the girls while I chatted with mum and showed her how to felt. I may have found a handy craft that she can do since her joints aren't the greatest and she can't do the fine knitting or the needle work that she had done in the past.

Unfortunately they had to leave on the 5:40 boat but the great thing was that J was on the 6pm boat so got to see my lovely hubby :)

Today has started to be sunny as yesterday, so J has decided to mow some more of the lawn which is a total hardship especially with the False Creek Raspberry Ale from Granville Island Brewing co and his lovely hat from Shine Cafe, they have a great logo to go with their fabulous breakfasts.  The ride on is a necessity since it still takes almost 2 hours on the ride on to mow all the lawn.  The kids love to ride with him, Rosie has fallen asleep on the mower twice now.  J came and stopped by the house to drop Rosie off for a nap since she was already asleep, silly child.  I guess it is true the kids to resemble the dogs in they traits.

Ladybug found some treasures on the beach. She found a sand dollar and the rock on the left looks like a rock that will have crystals in it, which is called a Geode.  We still have to find a way to open it up to see if actually has crystals in it but I think that is a really neat thing to find.  J and Ladybug also found a bug they had never seen before, J looked it and it seems to be a Sea Roach although we aren't in the normal areas where you find them.

Oh well it is not 2:20pm and I have already finished my first mojito.  On the plus side, Fletcher will be bringing me my running clothes, so I will be able to go for a run tomorrow.  Yippee.  I think it is now time to head out doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment