Saturday 2 July 2011

So today started out on a sour note but ended soooo much better.  Ladybug hasn't been eating well and I think her blood sugars are fluctuating and making my sweet little bug into a crazy spaz monkey.  But that didn't stop us from getting stuff done (well mostly.)  We made our way to the Moss st. market to get some veggies for the BBQ.  I had a plan to make brushetta and quinoa salad, so I picked up a loaf of bread and some tomatoes.  Sorry no pictures of the bruschetta, I was too busy eating it since it is delicious.

My Bruschetta:
1 Baguette
1 clove garlic
olive oil
ripe tomatoes
red onion
cilantro
salt and pepper
white balsamic

de-seed the tomatoes and chop into a smallish dice.  In a bowl add diced tomato, diced purple onion and chopped cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and then drizzle with olive oil and white balsamic.

Slice the baguette into angled slices and drizzle with olive oil.  Place under the broiler until golden and then rub the newly crispy baguette with the raw garlic.

Serve and Eat:)

Quinoa Salad
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup rinsed quinoa
1/2 cucumber, de-seeded
1 red pepper
1 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup broccoli florets
2 stalks of celery
1 bunch of green onions
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/2 cup of random fresh herbs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon zest
salt and pepper
Add quinoa to stock, bring to the boil and then reduced to a simmer and simmer for 15min or until the quinoa comes out  mostly dry.
Here are all the green onions, and herbs.
Then add all the other veggies
Her is how to de-seed the cucumber.  Quarter the cucumber and then slice out the seeds.

I decided that wanted a mojito, so I made an attempt at a mojito. so I made muddled the mint with some sugar, added some lime juice, a large splash of spiced rum and topped it off with soda water.  Totally awesome.


Ladybug and J had a conversation at some point during the day and L was okay with not having any added sugar since that might be part of the problem with her meltdowns.  By the end of the day, the kids were mostly getting along.

Tomorrow's plan is to plan out Ladybug's snacks and lunches for the week since she will be in dance camp from 9am to 2pm.  A good test run for all day kindergarten in September.  I am thinking of making samosa that will hopefully make it through the whole week and I think I will find a container to freeze smoothies in for the a snack/freezer pack for L's lunch.  Wow, I am glad I have to figure this out now and not in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment