Thursday 28 July 2011

Hankering

 So I have been wanting some bake a lot recently, which isn't a bad thing except for my waistline.  So I am trying to share the wealth of my baking on those around me.  So my friend E has been the recipient of my latest batch of Starbuckie Vanillla Scones. In fact, she was a recipient of part of the last batch too.

Starbuckie Vanilla Scones
Recipe adapted from Peas and Thank you


1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup unbleached organic all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup organic sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste OR the scrapings from 1 vanilla bean


Glaze:
Scraping of 1/2 a vanilla bean
Icing sugar
drop or 2 of milk to thin the glaze




Mix all dry ingredients together.

Add a cold butter and cut it up with a pastry knife.  Try not to use your hand since that melts the butter, cut it up a to cut the butter into small chunks.  You can always put the dry ingredients and butter mixture in the fridge to stiffen up the butter.  

I like to mix the wet ingredients in a measuring up if it is small enough, since it creates less of a mess.  This is the milk, sugar and the scrapings from the vanilla bean.  Then take the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, if it seems too sticky then add a bit more flour.

Put the mixture on a floured counter and push into a rectangle and cut it into 6 squares and then cut each square into four at an angle to make 24 mini triangle.  Place on a baking sheet and bake a 350* for 13-15 minutes until the lightly golden.

Let cool.

Drizzle the top with the glaze.   

Deliciousness.  

I baked only a few scones and froze the rest.  I packed them up in a bag and sent them along to E's house.  I am hoping that she likes them as much as I do.  I am really glad that I figured out that people will take my baking happily since I only had one mini scones out of the whole batch.  And it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment