Wednesday 13 July 2011

Va-Ca at the Cottage

We left for the cottage on Monday afternoon and we got visitors on Tuesday evening, all nice things especially since the weather has been a bit wet.  I have done a lot since we arrived.  I have read through a whole book in a day, made homemade cinnamon buns, and I stocked an eagle.  So far I have been 'having a time'.

Here is the eagle after he scratched his head, unfortunately the shot of him scratching his head was not properly focused :(

Mister Eagle is looking right at me.  I think he wants to eat the dogs who have now joined me on my eagle stocking expedition.  Isn't he pretty!

Cinnamon Buns
1 1/4 cup milk
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp)  dry active yeast
1/2 cup sugar
6+ tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1 cup = 4oz)
cinnamon, ground

*In a saucepan, warm milk and 2 tbsp of butter until luke warm.
*In a large bowl dissolve 1 tbsp sugar and 1 pkg of yeast in 1 cup warm water and let stand for 5+ minutes or until the yeast blooms.
*Stir milk mixture, 2 tbsp sugar, salt, and 3 1/2 cups (14oz) of flour into the yeast mixture and mix for 2+ minutes.  Then add 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) flour to make a stiff dough (adding a tbsp of flour at a time if more required), knead 7-9minutes
*cover in an oiled bowl and let rise at room temp (or in a cold oven with the light on) for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.
*scrape dough onto a floured board. Divide in half and roll out each half into a 10x16 and spread on 2 tbsp of butter (a little more if it needs it,  I am trying melted butter next time)
*spread cinnamon over the buttered dough and then sprinkle with sugar.
*Roll from wide edge.  Pinch the ends closed.  Cut each half into 6 and place in either 2 - 9" round pan, or place both in 11x13 rectangle pan.
*let it rise 1- 1 1/2 hours or put it in the fridge overnight.
*Bake 350* for 30-35 minutes

I like weighing my flour, especially since I schlepped this puppy home from the UK last summer. 1 cup of flour is 4oz so 3 1/2 cups of flour is 14oz.  Isn't it pretty :)  I have been wanting a weigh scale ever since I used the one at my grand parents place in Wales. 

 Here the dough is made and I am letting it rise in the oven with just the light on.  It isn't as pretty as my last batch but still a nice dough.  

 After it has risen, it filled my biggest bowl very well.

 Half the dough rolled out sprinkled with cinnamon.

Then sprinkled with sugar
 Rolled up and pinched closed waiting to be cut and put into the pan.

 Here is half the recipe, cut and placed in the pan.  I have placed one pan in the fridge and the other in the freezer for the following bird.

 I didn't get a picture of the whole batch out of the oven since they smelled too good to wait so here is the lone remaining bun waiting to be eaten.

 Oh so lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment