Monday 1 August 2011

BBQ time

I don't used the BBQ often since my husband does such a great job at it.  I never liked chicken wings until I was pregnant with Ladybug.  I don't generally like bones in my food, I find it gets in the way of eating it.  So I came across a good adaptation of a Honey Garlic Chicken Boneless Wing, and it has been a party hit for the last few years.  I have to thank Greta and Janet Podleski for their Lord of the Wings.  It is the most ingenious recipe I have seen for wings, but then again I haven't really been looking at recipes for wings since I am not pregnant with Ladybug anymore.

So I was supposed to be having a few people over for dinner on Saturday, but it turned out that my friends from out of town were able to join us.  Ted, Tash and Baby T were already over since we had spent the day together so I decided that some grilled veggies and the boneless chicken wings would be great with a side of grilled corn and white rice (with the lovely teriyaki sauce that Ted brought me :)

Grilled Veggies
1 eggplant, cut into approx 3/4" rings 
4 small zucchinis, sliced lengthwise
6-8 beets, sliced
1 sweet onion, cut into rings approx 3/4".
4 ears of corn
1 clove garlic
2 red peppers, keep them whole with the stem.

*Spray with spray oil or drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and rub with garlic (I didn't actually use garlic on Saturday since I was lazy)
*place on the grill hot grill until one side is golden and then flip over and cook the other side. With the red pepper keep turning until all sides are blistered and black. 







Honey Garlic Boneless Chicken Wings
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
3 tbsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
2 tsp Freshly Grated Ginger (I freeze mine and then use a microplane to grate it)
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander, ground
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3 lb Chicken thighs, opened to make it wide(left to right) and cut down the middle (from top to bottom)

*Mix all the ingredients in the measuring cup and whisk to combine.
*Pour half of the mixture into a large ziploc, leaving the other half for basting.
*Marinate the chicken for 1 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
*When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400*
*Roll up thighs to make a wing like shape.
*Bake for 10-13 minutes to set the shape and par-bake the wings.
*Preheat the BBQ
*Place par-baked chicken on the BBQ and baste with the reserved sauce.
*Turn once or twice, repeatedly basting to ensure a moist glaze on the chicken.  Try not to burn the chicken.
*Enjoy.  It is tasty with a blue cheese dressing.


Mixed up sauce makes just over a cups worth of mariade, so I reserved a 1/2 cup for basting while cooking.

Here are the rolled up chicken thighs, getting ready to par-bake in the oven.  This lowers the BBQ time and sets the shape.

Another view of the chicken waiting to be cooked.

Par-baked and just on the BBQ, I haven't even basted it yet.

BBQ'd and tasty and juicy and delicious!!!

These are the other half the recipe that baked tonight (Monday)  Since I forgot to take any pictures until afterwards and there was only the last lonely pieces left.

Last lonely pieces.  I did finally put them out of their misery, I did throw myself on that grenade, happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment