Sunday 28 August 2011

Mac and Cheese

Kids love mac and cheese, although not always my kids.  I find that making the sauce a bit time consuming and I am not really all that great at not goofing up the cheese sauce.  I found this recipe that makes the mac and cheese in two step and they both involve a rice cooker.


Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese
Adapted from: Weelicious.com 
2 cups Macaroni Noodles or other small Noodle
1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
1/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 cups Shredded cheese, I used a cheddar mozza blend
1 cup milk
3 or 4 drops of Worcestershire Sauce
pepper

*Add noodles, stock and salt to the rice cooker and cook for 15 minutes on the white rice setting.
*Then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Cook another 20 (25 if you like a golden crust).  Check it after about 15 minutes to keep an eye on it since there is variety between rice cookers.


Pasta in the cooker, then add salt and stock, stir and cook for 15 minutes.

Then add the milk and the cheese and other tasty additions.  I would have added mustard powder too but I couldn't find it.  Stir ingredients to spread out the nummies.

The mac and cheese is still cooking.


All done.  It even had some golden bits.  I mixed it up so you can see the little bits of golden.  Delicious.  Rosie even asked for seconds.



2 comments:

  1. Wonder if I could convert it to a small crock pot. A rice cooker is sadly not in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will depend on how hot your slow cooker gets. Try it on high and keep an eye on it since slow cookers don't have a temperature setting that turns itself off.

    ReplyDelete