Thursday 18 August 2011

Meltdowns by Proxy

Wednesday was an interesting day for melt downs.  We started with Rosie fulling stepping into a Terrible Two Tantrum which is nice since she is 2 1/2.  It just means we are on that side of 2 1/2 and that tantrums will be a new part of our lives where she is concerned.  30+ minutes of tantrums left a very tired kid who fell asleep at 10am.  I managed to get her home and in bed and she slept until 12pm, which left us the rest of the day to do stuff, fabu.

We had gone out for lunch at Baan Thai, and the girls eat quite well and since it was mostly veggies, I was okay with a less veggie filled dinner (more on that later :)   Ladybug spent the afternoon with J doing errands and we got together at 3 so I could pick up the girls to try out their new bikes.  Rosie's was still too big so I opted for the tricycle rather then a bit that is too big.  I wanted Ladybug to try out her new GyroWheel, which didn't turn out as I had hoped.  Ladybugs friend AJ did have a great time on the bike but L was too concerned about falling over that she wouldn't even try.  "I WANT TRAINING WHEELS," so she stole Rosie's tricycle and off she went.  Once the batteries ran out on the Gyrowheel, I resorted to the Scooters.   AJ wanted to ride them too but neither of the girls wanted to share which led to A having a fuss.  While I was trying to ask L to leave A alone while she calms down, ladybug erupts in her own set of meltdown and so it was time to leave.

I was fine with this until L started kicking and hitting me and then started kicking my new car.  So I took her boots off and she continued.  I will admit to falling into the blind hand of justice, which just shows that I was over the edge too.  So I made sure that L knew that we would  both be taking a time out when we got home, although she was trying to yell at me that she was calm and didn't have to have a time out  now.  "Unfortunately sweetheart, it is not about your actions now that I am concerned about.  You wouldn't listen and were kicking my car which lead to me telling you to stop or you'll have a time out when we get home.  you continued to kick so you now have a time out. Next time try to listen and know that I will follow through on the consequences if you don't listen."  Not fun for everyone.  I am not claiming that was the best situation or that I handled that well, but I handled it.

Earlier I had gone shopping for some milk and I, of course, came home with a few extra goodies.  Including a package of Indonesian Satay marinate.  I was interested to see if the kids would like this, since they last time I made chicken on a stick it went over very well for the 4+ crowd since it was a little spicy the 2 year old thought it was too spicy.  This claims it is mild, so I thought I would give it a try.

It was quite easy, mix 1lb of chicken although I used almost 2 lbs, add some oil.  I decided to add some ginger and some garlic, it made it smell really good.



I soaked the skewers and then threaded the chicken chunks onto it.  Then I barbequed them until they were cooked with a little colour.  Ladybug doesn't like the deliciousness of the slightly crunchy bits.

Don't they look delicious

Here is Rosie's dinner.  She didn't eat that much but did eat both skewers and some corn.

This is the Peanut sauce, that Ladybug help me make but didn't want to eat any of.

Peanut Sauce
1 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/4+ cup Peanut Butter
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
2 tbsp Lime Juice

Blend together until it is delicious.

For dessert I made myself a root beer float.  Some double churned vanilla bean ice cream and some nice A&W root beer.  Made a a lovely creamy float, so good I had another.



I have already taken some of the foam off.  It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment