Monday 1 August 2011

Summer time treats

So summer time is here and I was thwarted in my attempt to get an Iced Capp. from Tim Hortons.  So I decided to crack out the recipe that J's cousin posted on Facebook.  This recipe seemed really interesting and I went out of my way to get Xanthum Gum from the grocery store.

Homemade Frappuccino at Pennies a Glass
1 cup strong coffee or 3/4 cup espresso, cold
3/4 milk (I used 1%, but use what ever you got)
3 tbsp sugar (was over the top sweet, especially since this makes 2 large glasses of Frapp)
2 cups ice (I will be putting more in next time to make it more icy, my cubes are big so they take up more room)
pinch of Xanthum Gum or 1 tsp dry pectin powder


*place all ingredients into the blender and blend.  Pour into glasses once it has been whizzed up enough.

I used instant espresso powder since I didn't have any cold coffee brewed up for this, but I now have a mini batch of cold brewed coffee.  I used 2 tbsp of espresso powder for 3/4 cup cold water

I placed the ingredients in to the blender.

Including the ice.

Now I'm off to the races.  Isn't that an interesting bubble, I think so.  It must be the Xanthum Gum.  I spilt some of the counter and when I washed my hands and the counter it had this slick gelatinous feel to it. 

Blend baby, blend.

Here is the final product, a nice cold caffeinated beverage that did not cost me an arm and a leg.

For tomorrows blended beverage, I have started a mini batch of cold brewed coffee.

Mini Cold Brewed Coffee
1/3 cup ground coffee beans
1 1/2 cup cold water.


*Place all ingredients in a convenient container such as a 2 cup mason jar and place in the chill chest over night (Thank you Alton Brown for cultural reference, if you don't know Alton Brown check out Good Eats.  It is the best)

No comments:

Post a Comment