Saturday 13 August 2011

Whole Wheat Dutch Baby

Feeding the kids breakfast is generally not my job since I need my sleep more then J since I don't sleep well most nights.  Thusly, I don't make a lot of breakfast things unless J is out of town or I actually get out of bed before 2nd or 3rd breakfast is served in the house.  Yes, my kids eat multiple courses of breakfast.  Here is something that I wanted to try but hadn't had an opportunity until recently.  A Whole Wheat Dutch Baby, sounds odd but it fulfills a couple of important things. 
1) It has protein in it, although it could have more.  There are 4 eggs it it.
2) I thought the kid might like it since it is similar to a pancake or a crepe, both of which they adore.

Whole Wheat Dutch Baby
Adapted from Weelicious.com

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
pinch salt
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp agave syrup
1 tsp veggie oil

*Preheat oven to 425
*Combine the dry ingredients
*In another bowl beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and agave until combined
*Whisk in dry ingredients until well combined.
*Grease a 9" pie plate with the oil
*Pour in batter and bake 25 minutes or until golden and puffed up.  Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with Yogurt sauce or lemon and sugar

This is a bit of an interesting thing. 
It is the bastard child of a pancake and souffle.  
The batter is just put together, things are not whipped separately.  It is easy to make and it does puff up like a helium balloon but does eventually collapse like a 2 year old child having a meltdown (lets just say I have seen that a lot recently)


You'll have to ignore the marks on the top, I did not expect it to balloon up quite so much and it hit part of the rack above it.  We have nice double wall ovens but there is a plethora of racks and not enough room to store them out of the ovens so they get left in the oven.  Currently my main working oven has 3 racks in it, it is just a wee touch of rack over kill.  
Note how high that puppy got.

Here it is trying to deflate.

It looks darker then it actually was since it was actually a lovely golden colour.

Down she goes.

Finally she arrives at it's final destination.  

The kids did indeed love it.  It probably would be great with a bit of lemon and sugar, but I ran out of lemons and limes aren't quite the same.  Instead I served it with greek yogurt and a half a lime each for the kids, who ate 1/8 of the whole thing each.  


No comments:

Post a Comment