Monday 1 August 2011

Vegetarian Dinner

I have been reading a lot of blogs in the last little while and I came across Peas and Thank You.  I am think that I am called a flexitarian, I enjoy vegetarian options some of the time although, I also enjoy my meat as well.  Since I am trying to incorporate more protein into Ladybug's meals, I thought that looking up some vegetarian/vegan options since they are generally very good using none-animal protein source.  Surprising that, ha ha, anyways Ladybug doesn't really like meat but she does like tofu.  So I followed the link from one blog to the next and I find this thing called Mmmm Sauce and there was this Summer Succotash Quesadillas with Nacho Mmmm Sauce so I had to try it.  Unfortunately I didn't have all the ingredients, so I did was I generally do, which is wing it and mod-it until I felt it was done.

So I started with the Nacho Mmmm Sauce since I never made it before, I thought it would be best to get that out of the way first.

Nacho Mmmm Sauce
2/3 cup jarred Salsa
1/3 cup Water
1/4 cup Raw Almonds (or 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp ground almonds
1/4 cup Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (I used engivita yeast)
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp dried cilantro (which I never use since I almost always have fresh on hand, so 2-4 tbsp of fresh Cilantro)

*Place all the ingredients in the blender and blend to desired consistency.   

This was by far the best saucey thing I have had in a while, I can't say enough about this sauce.  Soooooooo Gooooood!!!

Quesdilla 
Makes 2-4 quesadillas.  Made a lot of filling, just add more tortillas as needed.

1/2 onion (original recipe called for a sweet onion but his is what I had)
1/2 zucchini
1 cup of Corn (I used frozen corn that we had frozen last season)
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp water
1/2 lime, squeezed over the veggies while they cook
1/2 tsp agave syrup
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 small yams, boiled chopped and peeled
salt and pepper

4 tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese (real or fake)

*Saute onions until they start to caramelize over medium heat in a frying pan
*Add zucchinis, corn, garlic, water, agave, and cumin.  Let simmer and thicken for 10 minutes.
*In a large skillet (or crepe pan :)  over medium/high place 1 tortilla and top with 2 tbsp of cheese, and 1/3 cup+ of the veggie filling, some of the yams, top with 2 tbsp cheese and top with another tortilla.  
*Once the cheese has melted on the bottom and the tortilla is golden, flip it over and brown the other side. 
*Then cut and serve.

So my picture taking skills have been lacking so here is the picture of the red onion and nothing else cooking, oh well.

Not done artistically but eventually I just covered the whole thing in that delectable sauce and ate it like it was iced with the stuff.

Here is a lovely shot of the lovely golden quesadilla with the filling.

You can see the zucchini and the yams very well in that shot.  This one is of a quesadilla made with only one tortilla.  Take the tortilla and put it in the pan with 2+ tbsp of cheese all over it and then place the veggie mix and yams only on half of the tortilla.  Once the cheese has melted then flip the non-veggied side over the veggies, remove from the heat and then cut into 4 wedges.  

So good that I took another shot of it.  The next thing I did was dip it and smothered it with Nacho Mmmm Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment