Thursday 23 June 2011

Thursday June 16th

These will all be done at once since we didn't have a great internet connection and nothing in the hotel room so I am entering these while sitting at Stephen and Miti's dinning table.

We have arrived in Iceland at 6:45am, I tried to sleep most of the flight since I have been nursing a headache for a few days and I thought that sleeping on the plane so I would arrive refreshed-ish would be a great thing. We were delivered to our hotel by Flybus which picked us up at the Keflavik airport. Our room wasn't ready but they stored out bags and off we went to the information center by our hotel.
There was a free shuttle to Kringlan, which is a large mall and since J had yet to visit it we went. Funnily enough he had asked about it before and I told him it is like a big mall. Apparently he had to see if for himself and as we entered he said "yup, it's a mall". Here is a lovely picture of the veggies individually wrapped which, for some reason, I find totally odd. "Tiger" is an interesting store, it like an Ikea dollar store - totally awesome but I had no room for stuff in my suitcase.

After Kringlan we took a cab and we checked in to our hotel. I was relatively inexpensive, functional and clean. The mini fridge wasn't working but that was okay, it just meant room temp bevvies. Then decided to go for dinner, mmmm tapa's.
J had the Icelandic tasting feast which included smoked puffin with Brennivin sauce. Icelandic Ssea-trout with red pepper salsa. Lobster tails baked in garlic. Pan-fried Monk Fish in Lobster sauce. Grilled Icelandic Lamb Samfaina. Minke whale with cranberry and Malt sauce. And for dessert, Chocolate Skyr Mousse with Passion fruit Coulis. I got to try some and it was delicious.
I had the "Seleccion del Litoral" Mine had Lobster in garlinc, Salmon ceviche, bacon wrapped scallops and dates. Icelandic Sea-trout with pepper salsa, pan-fried saltfish with sweet mashed potato and pan-fried monkfish with lobster sauce. So good.

After dinner the exhaustion of travel and little sleep caught up with us and so we went to bed at around 9 or so. With a little Night Court in the background. What more could you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment