Thursday 30 June 2011

Hard Day

It was a trying day with the kids today, so I was determined to make sure that they got enough protein to stop the tantrums since low blood sugar is a key factor that lead to Ladybug's tantrums.

So today I decided to make what I like to call Peanut Butter Broccoli. My brother and I have been making this for years. I don't make it very often but my kids generally love peanut butter and noodles so it is a perfect combo for the kids. Usually I make it with chicken but I didn't have any chicken so I used some of the tofu we had in the fridge.

First we start by cutting up the tofu. Rosie is helping with this part.

We had a jar of natural peanut butter that was unusable for sandwiches since it was really hard and stiff and would break up the bread, but I used the remains in the jar to make the sauce. I added soy sauce, garlic chili sauce, chicken stock concentrate, sesame oil, some cornstarch and some boiling water. That makes a lovely sauce for the veggies and noodles.

This is relatively simple recipe, so here are most of the ingredients. Broccoli, Carrots and the tofu.

I used my handy dandy strainer to cook the veggies at the same time as the noodles but without having to fish them out separately.

Saute the tofu, some garlic and a bit of oil.

Add the veggies.

Add the sauce and let it thicken up a bit with the heat.

Finally add the noodles and stir to coat the noodles with the sauce and mix up the veggies and tofu.

Peanut Butter Broccoli:
1lb chicken, tofu or other protein
head of broccoli
2 large carrots
2 clove garlic
1/2 package of Farkay noodles or 1/2lb noodles (or what ever quantity works for you)

Sauce
3-4 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup of hot chicken stock, or chicken stock concentrate and 1 cup boiling water
1 tsp sesame oil
1-4 tsp garlic chili sauce, to taste (the milder smooth sauce not the seedy sauce)

No comments:

Post a Comment